Sunday, July 10, 2016

Some celebrity libertarians (celebritarians)

Are There Any Celebrity Libertarians? | Heavy.com - Stephanie Dube Dwilson:

July 2, 2016 - "Libertarians are often called a fringe group: too small and 'strange' to be taken seriously. But is that characterization accurate? As Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson's poll numbers have recently shown, Libertarians could be a serious contender in the upcoming presidential election. More than a million people voted for the Libertarian presidential nominee in 2012, and with a growing number of people leaving the two-party mentality, the Libertarian party has been growing by leaps and bounds. It isn't widely known that many celebrities have also been vocal in their support for the Libertarian party. So which celebrities have spoken out in favor of the Libertarians? Click through the gallery to find out....
  • Penn Jillette: "The way the media tend to present Libertarians is that we’re conservatives, or we’re people with money who want to smoke dope. And it’s really not true at all for me.... The government is the guys with the guns, and we are the people who tell the government what they can do. So in my morality, I shouldn’t be able to tell anyone to do something with a gun that I wouldn’t do myself." - Newsweek....
  • Drew Carey: "“I never thought I was a Libertarian until I picked up Reason magazine and realized I agree with everything they had printed..” - From an August 9, 2007 interview with Time....
  • Kurt Russell: "“I am by nature Libertarian… don’t tread on me, just leave me alone, that’s all.” - Kurt Russell, 1997 to Talking Pictures Magazine....
  • Vince Vaughn: "I would use the term Libertarian to describe my politics. I like the principles of the Constitution and the republic.... Ron Paul woke a lot of people up to the fact that government can’t handle everything for you. Once you start playing that game, where does it stop?"....
  • Trey Parker & Matt Stone: ""I think it (Libertarian) is an apt description for me personally, and that has probably seeped into the show. But we never set out to do a Libertarian show." - Matt Stone, in an interview with Reason in 2006....
  • Clint Eastwood: ""I've always been a Libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair. So I believe in that value of smaller government. Give politicians power and all of a sudden they'll misuse it on ya." - In a 2008 interview with The Guardian....
  • Woody Harrelson: ""I don’t believe in government. In other words, I think we can all look after ourselves.... In my opinion, if you don’t actually have a victim who’s a human being, someone who’s been hurt or their property has been hurt, there’s no crime." - 2014 USA Today interview....
  • Rufus Wainwright: ""I don't like telling anyone what to do really. I don't feel like it's very polite." — A 2014 interview with The Guardian, when asked what he means when he says he's a "complete Libertarian." 
 Read more: http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/which-celebrities-are-libertarians-who-endorsed-gary-johnson-are-there-names/12/
'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment