Monday, September 11, 2017

Maine county commissioner joins Libertarians

Maine county commissioner switches to LP | Libertarian Party - Bob Johnston:

September 8, 2017 - "Zakk Maher, a county commissioner for Androscoggin County, Maine, switched to the Libertarian Party on Sept. 7. Maher was elected to the seat last November as a Republican, defeating the challenger with 63 percent of the vote. The term of the seat lasts until the end of 2020.

"Maher is the second county commissioner to switch to the Libertarian Party in the past year. Jim Byrne of the Kankakee County Board in Illinois came over to the LP last Dec. 7....

"The Libertarian Party now has 159 elected officials."
Read more: https://www.lp.org/maine-county-commissioner-switches-lp/

The Productive Path Forward | Zakk Maher, Androscoggin County Commissioner:

September 7, 2017 - "In an effort to reaffirm my own principles, as well as my passion for community service, I am enrolling in the Libertarian Party of Maine. I believe that each of us as a 'living creature, the creating individual,' as Bruce Lee once mused, 'is always more important than any established style or system.' As a Libertarian, I feel confident that when I say we believe in you, there are no ifs, ands or buts. And by freeing ourselves from the current political dichotomy I am positive the path forward for the County, the State and the Nation will be less turbulent, allowing our interpersonal relationships within our own community to bear much more fruit.

"I have caucused within the Republican party since 2004, supporting principled candidates that shared my vision of reducing the budgetary girth of the federal government in favor of more just and accountable controls at the State and County level. I also pushed for a pivot in philosophy, supporting a platform that respects the sovereignty of the individual in all matters of life, love and morality, as these are serious topics much too personal to be taken out of the hands of families directly impacted.

"These closely held ideals are what initially drew me to the party.... Yet, as the proclivities of the Republican Party drift further from my core belief of being fiscally conservative and legislatively unobtrusive, I feel it is only fair to myself and those I represent to formally follow my heart out of the party that had left me in spirit amid this past election cycle.... Still, this is not an action I take lightly, or without reservation.

"By taking the path less traveled I seek not to be followed, but rather inspire others to reassess their politics and focus on their own journey towards a peaceful and prosperous future."
Read more: http://www.zakkmaher.com/the-productive-path-forward
'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment